Attributes can be moved from one set to another at any time.
When an attribute is moved from one set to another, the change will be immediately reflected in all schema which contain this attribute and consequently any products created under those schema.
To move an attribute from one schema to another, navigate to the attribute settings page (Settings - Attributes) and ensure that the attributes are sorted by set, by selecting the 'Set Name' header in the table of attributes.
Expand the attribute set(s) that attribute(s) will be moved from and the set(s) that the attribute(s) will be moved to by selecting the chevron at the side of the attribute set name.
Click and drag the attribute to be moved to the desired position within the new set and save any changes.
Moving Attributes in Use as Conditions
Attributes which are in use in one of the following cannot be moved between sets:
- the primary description of a schema
- an attribute in a lifecycle condition
- attributes used as conditions within assignment and validation rules in a schema
- attributes used as conditions within an approval or automated workflow
When trying to move these attributes, an error message will be displayed giving detailed information as to where the attribute is in use within the system.
Once the attribute is no longer in use, it can be moved as normal between sets.
Moving Attributes in Use in Taxonomies
In a taxonomy class, if an attribute is assigned to only some of the product types, and this attribute is then moved to a set that has all attributes assigned to a particular product type, the moved attribute will have that product type automatically assigned.
In the below taxonomy setup,
- all of the default attributes are assigned for all product types (this cannot be changed)
- all of the attributes within the 'Text Attributes' set are applied for all product types excluding one attribute, which is only assigned for the SKU product type
- all of the attributes within the 'Code Attributes' set are applied for all product types
If this particular attribute is then moved to the attribute set 'Code Attributes' through the Attribute Settings page, the attribute will be assigned in full for all product types within any taxonomies where the 'Code' attribute set is fully assigned.